Welcome to HaMakom
HaMakom Means “The Place”
It is one of God's names. Our mission is to be a community of loving-kindness, guided by Jewish principles. Our services are a renewal of traditional practices that weave prayer, learning, singing and community into a meaningful expression of Judaism.
We are a small, inclusive chavurah with great ruach. We welcome you to attend our Shabbat services, holiday celebrations, lectures, and other activities. Consider a membership in our spirited community.
Join us for Torah study, Shabbat morning and Torah services with a spirited Torah discussion, followed by a Kiddush. Services are led by Rabbi Malka Drucker and Hazzan Cindy Freedman with the Torah discussion and Torah leyning by community members.
- In-depth Torah Study: 8:45 am with Rabbi Jack Shlachter (temporary on haitus)(more info)
- Shabbat Service with chanting: 9:45 am with Rabbi Malka Drucker and Hazzan Cindy Freedman (more info)
- Torah Service with discussion: ~11:15 am with Rabbi Malka Drucker, Hazzan Cindy Freedman, Peter Hess, and community members (Torah portions)
- Kiddush and Oneg: ~12:15 pm with Rabbi Malka Drucker, Hazzan Cindy Freedman, and community members
Come for part or all of the service. Each of us has something unique to offer. Your presence and point of view are always appreciated and honored.
Our Onegs are community sponsored after every Shabbat service. Please bring a kosher vegetarian nosh to share!
If you're new to Santa Fe, see the Contact Us page for a map.
Other Services and Learning
HaMakom provides other services and Judaic study groups.
- Kabbalat Shabbat with chanting: After High Holidays, occasional Kabbalat Shabbat service at 6 pm with potluck Oneg afterwards (more info)
- Other Holidays: All significant Jewish holidays throughout the year (Holiday Schedule)
- Skype Talmud: 10 Sessions Friday mornings, starts Friday January 18 at 8 AM (future class times may change), at Santa Fe Community Foundation, 501 Halona Street. (more info)
- Entering the Heart of Judaism: Do you want to know more about Judaism? Are you considering conversion or longing to have an adult Bar or Bat Mitzvah? The 2013 "Entering the Heart of Judaism" course will begin soon in January. Under the leadership of Hazzan Cindy Freedman and Rabbi Jack Shlachter, the weekly class will span 9 months and will conclude in September on Sukkot Shabbat. Please contact Hazzan Cindy Freedman at email@example.com for more information. Our service and liturgy will come alive in our weekly classes! We will meet on Monday evenings. Tuition is $950.
We hope to mark each new Jewish month together this year. Please RSVP your interest in assisting, attending, or hosting future gatherings.
The Weekly Reader is our electronic newsletter, which informs you about HaMakom happenings and Jewish New Mexico news and events. If interested, please subscribe.
Joyful Truths and the Festival of Lights
Rabbi Malka Drucker
December 12, 2012
Dear Cherished Friends,
Happy Hanukkah! Chag Urim Sameah! May you have a joyful holiday of lights! Wasn't the snow Sunday afternoon a wonderful first day gift? I received a second gift when my Prius vainly spun its wheels on Old Pecos Trail as the snow came down heavily. A young man riding a bicycle stopped and gave me a push. I hope he knows how grateful I was not only for his help but for his good heart. Read the full letter.
Peace and Love, Rabbi Malka Drucker
Peter Hess Education
The Kabbalat Shabbat service
This Friday, April 12 at 6:00. Followed by a vegetarian potluck dinner.
Led by Hazzan Cindy Freedman and Rabbi Malka Drucker.
This Friday, April 12 at 6:00. Followed by a vegetarian potluck dinner. Led by Hazzan Cindy Freedman and Rabbi Malka Drucker.
Simchat Torah 5773, October 8th
For more pictures taken during the celebration, please click here.
A monthly calendar is available that shows all upcoming events.
During the summer months some activities are on hiatus until after high holidays.
HaMakom has the following on-going activities:
- Board Meeting: Generally second Tuesdays at 5:30 pm
(Next meeting February 12 at 4:00 at Rainbow Vision more info)
Arts and Education Programs
- Book Club: Sunday mornings at 10:30 am (off site) every 5-6 weeks (currently on hiatus) (more info)
- Continuing Education: Third Thursdays at 7 pm. Next presentation:. Smackdown! Dona Teresa Versus the Inquisition. Professor Victoria Erhart, presenter. May 16, at 7 PM, at Hamakom, St. Bede’s, 1601 St. Francis @ San Mateo.
- Workshops and Classes: Periodically sponsored by HaMakom (next workshop on 9/23)
- Yiddishkeit Group: Last Sundays at 2 pm (currently on hiatus) (more info)
Community Outreach Activities
- Chevra Kadisha: Serve with the Chevra Kadisha of Northern New Mexico. (more info)
- Food Drive: Donate food during High Holidays to alleviate hunger in Northern New Mexico. (more info)
- Hineni: Assist community members. (more info)
- Santa Fe Jewish Film Festival: View films on Sunday afternoons in Santa Fe during the season. (more info)
- Tutoring Project: Help students at Ramirez Thomas Elementary School. (more info)
To submit information about activities to the Weekly Reader, please send a message to Cindy Freedman (firstname.lastname@example.org).